A Note to XP users
Thomas Ward
2013-09-11 17:44:17 UTC
Hi all,

I know this is probably going to sound like a rant, I am not trying to
come off that way, but there are a couple of things I feel needs to be
said. I just don't think certain users think before posting questions
like this to the list. So I'd like to say something about it to help
encourage some thought into the discussion before such questions
arise.

For example, a little while ago James asked how could he use the SAPI
5.5 voices on his XP computer. Well, on the surface it sounds like a
reasonable question, but it actually lacks a little forethought
considering the fact XP is about to be officially dropped by Microsoft
next spring. If this user had thought about the situation through he
would know that Microsoft is cutting back on updates, is preparing to
discontinue service and updates, and aren't going to port something
designed for Windows 8, which is a selling point, back to Windows XP
which is for all intents and purposes about to be discontinued anyway.
There would be no point in Microsoft in doing so.

The reason I am making an issue of this is simply this. The industry
standard for technical support and updates for a piece of software is
between five and ten years. XP users have been extremely lucky in that
Microsoft has continued to extend the support to 2014, but I don't
really see them extending it beyond that point. Windows XP was
originally released in 2001, way beyond the industry standard for
support, and now that Microsoft has officially announced the cut-off
date for XP they have been generous in giving XP users plenty of time
to upgrade to Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, whatever if they choose to.
However, it makes sense for the last year or so of XP's extended
support Microsoft would only release critical updates, patches, and
bug fixes to fill out the last year of support. They certainly aren't
going to put a lot of time and effort into back porting .NET 5.0, SAPI
5.5, DirectX 11, etc to XP since from their point of view XP will be
discontinued anyway and most of those XP users will eventually upgrade
to one of the newer Windows platforms if they want to avail themselves
of the updates to those components. So asking how one might get SAPI
5.5 for XP just really seems to underscore the fact that some XP users
are ignoring the fact that XP is about to be discontinued, and that
there are not going to be any new updates at all for it in the
foreseeable future. Its basically done and we can stick a fork in it.

Now, I know this will not set well with some users because they really
do not like Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8. Sorry to say but
that is just too bad, because weather we like it or not a business
can't operate on a 14 year old piece of software. The way companies
like Microsoft works is by selling products. That is new software.
Once a piece of software like XP reaches a maximum number of sales it
begins to lose money because Microsoft has already made their millions
and now have to pay employees a salary to maintain it for several
years after it came onto the market. The way to make more money is to
release a new piece of software that supersedes the old one and yes,
offer features that can't be gotten for the old software. Something
like SAPI 5.5 can be seen as one of those new features of Windows 8,
along with their new Narrator, that is considered an exclusive upgrade
you get by purchasing their new Windows operating system. You want it
you got to pay for it. That's how they make money on their software,
and the people who don't understand this fact can keep looking for
free handouts for XP, but they aren't going to get them because
Microsoft is in it for the money. Since that is the case XP users
really need to recognize that there is no money in XP for them, and
they really need to think about that fact before they ask if such and
such new software from Microsoft is available for XP. Chances are it
won't be.

So the point of this little rant is simply think a little before
asking a question. Realize that if you choose to stay with XP either
because of your financial situation or you simply don't like the newer
alternatives with XP's end of support coming up more and more
developers are going to stop continuing to support that OS and it will
become harder for them to do so. Although, I imagine some developers
here, particularly those using VB 6 may continue supporting XP for
some time to come, in the main just don't look for companies like
Microsoft etc to continue doing so because they have stopped for all
intents and purposes. I don't even know how long I will support XP
myself with my own software, because some components I use and want to
use are not available on XP, and XP users need to realize that their
beloved XP is just too old to run certain newer software.

Cheers!
Chris H
2013-09-11 18:00:16 UTC
Cheers for the rant. I get sick and tired as an IT amateur of those
persisting with Xp. My belief is they don't like change and that's that.
So cheers once again.
---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers at audyssey.org.
please send E-mail to Gamers-owner at audyssey.org.
Bryan Peterson
2013-09-11 18:07:32 UTC
Well said both of you.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers-unsubscribe at audyssey.org.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Chris H
2013-09-11 18:17:07 UTC
I actually laugh at those still on Xp. I'm like why and just give a
gentle hint that it will be no more as of next year and some just don't
care and have an atitude about it.
Post by Bryan Peterson
Well said both of you.
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
-----Original Message----- From: Chris H
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
.
Bryan Peterson
2013-09-11 18:27:34 UTC
To be fair upgrading isn't exactly an inexpensive proposition.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Charles Rivard
2013-09-11 18:39:29 UTC
How do you figure that upgrading is not expensive? Some of us, myself
included, have old machines that still work fine for what we use them for.
Unemployed and on very tight budgets, so cannot afford a newer machine.
Then, there is the cost of the new OS software. Although I do have JAWS 14,
some don't have the money to upgrade to that or to JAWS 15 which will soon
be released. If you need a new SMA from FS, that now costs $160, which I
don't have. I know there are free screen readers available, but they are
not as good as what tons of money has already been spent on. And there is
also the point that a lot of software we have spent money on that, as far as
I know, won't work on, or is troublesome to get working on, the newer OS we
will get. And there is the learning curve to deal with as well. Maybe we
should upgrade, but can we?

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
shaun everiss
2013-09-11 18:50:45 UTC
thats true bryan though its a lot cheaper with nvda.
the base os and system upgrade.
I don't use office else I'd have to probably upgrade that to.
then there are all the hardware drivers and new hardware you need to
support the system if you don't have it.
then there is jaws or other reader I chose to upgrade supernova as my
comercial reader since I had it the longest.
now thats all up about 4-5 grand over 3 years, if you have to do that
all at once well.
My upgrades to 7 will have to last me a conciderable time though as I
doubt I will be upgrading any time soon.
as well as this curcimstances will be changing in family funding
where there will not be any more funds coming in or rather as much as
have been over the past 20 years or so so that does mean that I won't
be upgrading.
Its more than likely that if it happened that things went I'd be
downgrading to something else.
once the issue with the old audiogames going to 7 and working like
they do on xp is sorted I think that may get better.
for whatever reason vms seem to be faster on linux rather than
windows but my laptop only has 4gb ram so maybe I will get a
dedicated server for everything that should be able to handle any and
everything I plan to chuck at it.
my plan essentually is to simply buy a box and put as much power cpu,
ram, sound and video and solid state hardrives as it can carry and run it.
we will see though.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
shaun everiss
2013-09-11 18:45:06 UTC
well I still use xp for my old games and I will probably always use
xp or have an xp system at least.
win7 though is good and I have a 7 system.
My basic home work for when I am not on the road ie gaming, etc seems
to favor xp over 7 right now but once people like gma upgrade their
stuff that may be behind me.
The real reason I don't really hit 7 unless I need it is because I
still have working xp system with better speakers than my 7 box
though as I said its the older games I mainly play here.
I do use 7 all the time.
sadly though my network admin jobs for most things are 7 and 8 quite
a lot of machines a third of them are still using xp so I also still
use xp daily.
my eventual hope is to get a server with windows on it and maybe have
vms of linux xp and other oses or have them direct though I am not
sure how I'd start one the server then be able to boot different
vertual users but boot direct systems of the other stuff.
either that or have a dedicated gaming box.
the next thing I guess that will have to happen is going to 8 but I
don't need the extra features.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Josh
2013-09-11 18:49:23 UTC
I have a vinux4 system with xp running inside it in vmware player. I
baught my xp off ebay.

sent from my vinux4 linux laptop
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Darren Duff
2013-09-11 18:08:08 UTC
7 is really not that bad. I upgraded to 7 last year and I was a hardcor xp
user as well. I like 7 a lot.

Post by Thomas Ward
[...]
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org If you want to leave the
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers at audyssey.org.
list, please send E-mail to Gamers-owner at audyssey.org.
---
Thomas Ward
2013-09-11 19:28:36 UTC
Hi Chris,

You are welcome. As I also work in the IT field I get a little sick
and tired of the way certain users are so apposed to change they won't
upgrade, won't change, and expect companies like Microsoft to support
their old outdated software indefinitely. I understand their desire
not to change to a point, but sooner or later they need to realize the
fact that when it comes to computers and technology in general change
is inevitable and they might as well get use to it. There isn't
anything they can do about it by refusing to upgrade or sitting around
complaining about it. The only person it hurts is themselves, and
maybe it does them good to tell it to them straight that no one is
going to pitty them for holding out on change.

Cheers!
So cheers once again.
shaun everiss
2013-09-11 18:40:40 UTC
tom we really need a faq on the list for coman questions including
coman off topic questions asked so we don't get in a bother with this
sort of stuff.
also what things not to ask, etc.
I am not sure if it would help, it would overt any nastyness that
could appear from time to time.
maybe have the guidelines contain a link to the faq that is put out
every month.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
dark
2013-09-11 18:43:32 UTC
I'm quite aware sapi 5.5, advanced net framework etc aren't available for
xp, but I've still! not been convinced that there really is any reason to
upgrade since practically speaking it seems all I get is a more irritating
interface and less compatibility with a good few games, and though these
components don't work, does anything good actually use them?

If microsoft want to sell me a new operating system, give me a reason why! I
should use one, something it does better than xp, and no, having flashy
ribbons and the like isn't, indeed to me that's a negative (I still think
microsoft should've had the option for an xp like interface).

If lots of developers use these new components to create better games and
such, well maybe that would be a reason to upgrade, but that's not happened
yet and I don't really see why i should say goodbye to 32 bit compatibility,
and! stagger around a more stupid interface until that reason is there.

i don't doubt that will happen at some point in the future, but it certainly
hasn't yet, and especially not from microsoft.

I don't want to start this debate again, since I think everything has been
said that can be said, however I'm just pointing out there are perfectly
good reasons to stick with xp, and bigger numbers and newer versions of
components that most people only use to run other software aren't! a reason
to upgrade if they're not used for anything good, which up to now they
haven't been.

Beware the grue!

Dark.
Josh
2013-09-11 18:48:41 UTC
nice thing about vmware is if you run it on a new machine and you put
windows xp inside of it then you can use xp with your new components
hard drives and stuff because vmware lets it work with those things.

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
shaun everiss
2013-09-11 18:58:22 UTC
my issue is the speed of the vms.
I use win7 as my default and I seem to have things slow down a lot.
However I never boosted a 64 bit os on it or extra ram, and I know it
if I use 1 or 2gb of ram in the box for a vm, I did not start with
it in mind origionally else I would have jacked the ram to twice or
even 3 times what I had because there is little room to manuver.
Also when accessing external devices like external drives especially
in vertual xp its really slow.
There is supposed to be a newer vmware 6 now with better support and power.
I think for now that I will just make a share folder and shove the
vms in that well all the stuff I want to share and run it like that.
However I think I may try running my vms on a desktop rather than a
laptop, anyway where I use my 7 laptop for real work I won't have
access to my gaming wrig or external keyboard so maybe I should aim
for a home system as it is.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Josh

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
dark
2013-09-11 19:29:07 UTC
That is likely what I will end up doing eventually, ---- can you run an xp
vm on a mac?

I see myself more likely to go with mac than lynux, since mac has more
options for access etc than windows, unless something changes.

All the best,

Dark.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Josh
2013-09-11 19:32:37 UTC
xp vm's work good on macs just use vmware fusion.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Josh" <joshknnd1982 at gmail.com>
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers-unsubscribe at audyssey.org.
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers at audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2013-09-11 19:36:12 UTC
Hi Dark,

Yes, you can run a Windows XP virtual machine on Mac. You can get
VMWare Workstation to run XP in a virtual machine, or you can use Boot
Camp to setup a multiboot with XP if you want to go that way for
running your old Windows apps and games. Either way the Mac allows you
to keep your old Windos OS while running the very latest version of
Mac OS and apps.

P.S.

FYI. It is Linux, L i n u x, not Lynux, L y n u x.

Cheers!
Dark.
Thomas Ward
2013-09-11 19:42:16 UTC
Hi Josh,

Exactly. XP users are already finding out that there are not any
drivers available for newer computer components and one nice solution
for that is run it in VMWare Player as a guest OS. Let the host
operating system weather it is Windows 8, Linux, or Mac OS handle all
the drivers for you, and simply run XP on top of that OS for older
games and applications. The virtual machine will allow XP to access
newer hardware and devices for which there are no native drivers for
XP.

Cheers!