old game companies we have not heard much about
shaun everiss
2008-07-29 02:56:31 UTC
Hi.
Does anyone know what happened to the following.
nasoft
starbase defender.
tdlsoftware and tdlgames
conspirasoft.
I know flight commander and starbase defender could not be completed due to developer time issues etc however the rest I am not sure.
Also any news from surrealhorisons I know they had issues but nothing from them at all.
Thomas Ward
2008-07-29 15:43:01 UTC
Hi Shaun,
Best guess we will never hear from most of these guys again, nor wwe
know what happened to them. After all writing audio games is very
expensive when it comes to time and money. Most of us would rather put
that time and money into something else like a real job. That is why we
don't hear too much from Justin and Dan Z any more. Though BSC Games
still exists, and sells their old games.
Actually, I am not too surprised the blind game programming community
has such a high turn over rate. If you add up all the guys that have
come out, wrote a few games, and suddenly quit they almost out number
those who are still actively writing stuff.
Who do we really got as far as active game developers? PCS Games, USA
Games, GMA Games, L-Works, Draconis, X-Sight Interactive, Spoonbill,
7128, All In Play, Jim Kitchen, and maybe a couple of others. Not all
that many when you consider all those who aren't making games any more.
We have lost Alchemy, RS Games, DanZ Games, PB Games, XL Studios, Code
Factory, and those are just the more recent ones. I don't know if we can
count Ace Games because they never really made anything of note yet, and
ESP/Adora became Draconis.
Post by shaun everiss
Hi.
Does anyone know what happened to the following.
nasoft
starbase defender.
tdlsoftware and tdlgames
conspirasoft.
I know flight commander and starbase defender could not be completed due to developer time issues etc however the rest I am not sure.
Also any news from surrealhorisons I know they had issues but nothing from them at all.
---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers at audyssey.org.
please send E-mail to Gamers-owner at audyssey.org.
Charles Rivard
2008-07-29 19:23:21 UTC
Some, I haven't mentioned, but David G is still around, Jim Kitchen's still
working at games, Phil Vlasak is still working, and Thomas Ward will be in
some sort of ancient underground something or other when he can once again
find his house. (grin) We appreciate all you guys, and hope you continue.
I'd like to start game production, but need programming knowledge and
experience. It'll take time. I have a few ideas on games I want to produce
or improve upon. I'm not sure on copyright issues. For example, what about
pretty much the same game as someone else's, but a totally different aiming
method? That one just might cause problems, wouldn't it?

--
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ, and the American Soldier.

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers-unsubscribe at audyssey.org.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2008-07-29 18:24:07 UTC
Hi Charles,
Yes and no. It all would depend on how closely your version of the game
resembles the game you wish to copy, and how anal compulsive the
original developer is about his/her copyrights.
As you know sometime soon I plan to launch my own treasure hunting
series called Tomb Hunter with a Lara Croft type character named Angela
Carter. If I came out with a game called Tomb Raider, used Lara Croft,
Dr. Von Croy, etc Edos Interactive could slap a copyright infringement
law suit on me. However, since I changed the characters name, the name
of the game, purchased my own game music, used my own sound effects, it
is enough changes that Edos can't take me to court. They might figure
out I am making a Tomb Raider game under another name, but there are
fair use provisions in the U.S. copyright laws that says certain ideas,
concepts, and characters can't be copyrighted.
For example, a main character such as Lara Croft can be copyrighted
because she has a specific name, ocupation, physical appearance,
nationality, etc. In other words she is detailed enough to be considered
a unique person under the law. The more detailed a character the more
rights his/her creator has in holding a copyright for that character.
However, many of the enemies Lara fights are pretty generic bad guys
such as wolves, snakes, spiders, tigers, mummies, and so on. These
characters can not be copyrighted, because they fall under the fair use
provision of the US. copyright laws. Thus any wolf character, skeleton,
tiger, etc is considered to be public domain territory.
As for where to learn to program you know where to find me.
Smile.
shaun everiss
2008-07-29 21:14:12 UTC
yeah I know.
Out of that list the only major dev still active apart from usa is jim kitchen.
Rsgames is semi active but yeah the rest I don't know.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2008-07-30 11:49:18 UTC
Hi Shaun,
Not true. The list I said were still around are still moderately to
fully active.
I know 7128 is still very active, GMA just released VIP Mud, PCS has
released Sarah and has been giving us 4 updates for it over the last
year, etc. So there is still developers making games, and still are active.
In terms of activity I'd say USA Games is falling behind just do to our
three month stint at my in-laws house while our apartment gets
rennivated. Hopefully by mid August we will be able to start up full
production again.
Damien Sadler
2008-07-29 21:16:29 UTC
Hi Thomas,
To make you aware we haven't exactly lost PBGames, but he's changed his
programming platform and he has changed the name to PBSoundscape. Even
though games haven't come out under this new name yet, I know he is making
them, as I am testing a performance test one out for him now.
Thanks.
Regards,
Damien

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2008-07-30 11:53:24 UTC
Hi Damien,
Thanks. Yeah, I know about Philip's new venture, PB Soundscape, but at
the moment it isn't what PB Games use to be.
I still haven't figured out why Philip abandoned all of his games, the
PB Games name, and started over from scratch.
Damien
Damien Sadler
2008-07-30 12:14:58 UTC
Hi Thomas,
I suppose because he's started using a different programming language (he's
abandoned Java and AutoIt and has now started to use C++), and is expanding
on other software as well, not just games.
As for why he abandoned his old games, as far as I understood it, he feels
that they didn't meet his expectations in terms of speed and stability,
since he used Java where the source code was needed, he used AutoIt where
the source code could be hacked into, and even both them languages are very
slow and sometimes nonresponsive when it comes to games.

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers-unsubscribe at audyssey.org.
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers at audyssey.org.
list,
please send E-mail to Gamers-owner at audyssey.org.
will lomas
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
.
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers at audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of
the list,
please send E-mail to Gamers-owner at audyssey.org.
Thomas Ward
2008-07-30 12:50:15 UTC
Hi Damien,
Are you sure it was Java he wrote his games in? I thought he used
Javascript which is a totally different animal all together. <Smile>
In any case I do understand his reasons for starting over. What he was
doing wasn't really the best way to go about good game development. Now,
he is switching over to C++ he will definitely see an improvement in
stability and speed.
Damien.
Ryan Smith
2008-07-29 23:17:27 UTC
Hi,
Well even though RS Games is closed, and will open again sometime, I
have not been doing no coding. My friend, Mike Forzano, has been
coding a MUD that I will not give the URL out yet. Being a Wizard,
with not much experience in MOO coding, I coded a client to use. It is
ment for the general mud range and is reccomended. It is highly
accessible, with JFW API as well as SAPI, ANSI coloring, F1 to F10
command senders, F12 sapi quiter, Pre-Set Sounds, Combo Box of items
added, Preferences/Logging, Trigger Adder (Similar to VIP MUD's Easy
Script Builder). I have to say I enjoy the MOO very much, and RMUD
(what I call my client) is coming along. I'd like your feature
requests, although I have decided no scripting language, at least for
some time. I am not skilled enough to code something like that. The
good thing about this is, is that it's a custom client, so the basics
of the policies are covered. It also auto-connects to the MUD. It's a
little under 1000 lines in VB6...We have a refined staff, so we think
you will enjoy the moo when it is complete.
-Ryan Smith
RSG is closed, SDM 4.1 patch may be released soon
Cory
2008-07-30 03:17:49 UTC
Ryan,

Come back asap! you are brilyant!
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
http://www.eset.com
Damien Sadler
2008-07-30 04:14:06 UTC
Hi,
Oh, is that why Mike seems to have given up with X-Sight? I was still
waiting for the bug fix for CC from him so I could upload it. I'm sick of
having a constantly corrupted download on there.
Regards,
Damien

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2008-07-30 12:31:02 UTC
Hi Ryan,
Well, one suggestion I have is if you are going to support the JFW API
I'd like to see the Window Eyes API supported as well. That would give
two of the major screen readers direct access support.
As far as scripting goes you can just use an off the shelf scripting
language like VBScript. In Windows if you add the Windows scripting
support to your application, bingo, you have a fully qualified scripting
language in your application. It is not a difficult task to do, but it
will take a little research in order to create game scripts.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
John Bannick
2008-07-29 21:42:00 UTC
Shaun,

I don't know if we qualify as "major" but 7-128 Software is still in the biz.

Right now we've got 8 new blind-accessible games for children coded.

We plan to release them as soon as I get the dratted custom content
editors finished for Perkins School.

Then I've been told that I gotta finish a couple more accessible word games.

Then... well, you get the idea.

John Bannick
CTO (techno-galley-slave)
7-128 Software
louis
2008-07-29 22:33:31 UTC
What about Bavisoft? Has anyone heard what they're up to, or why they don't
return any emails? HTH.

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
6:43 AM
Damien Sadler
2008-07-30 04:09:37 UTC
Hi,
Yeah, that puzzles me as well. I mean, I did get my CD's in the end so it's
obvious that they are still around, and they do update their news page.
Yet they don't answer emails and we haven't heard any news on Chillingham II
yet.
Regards,
Damien

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2008-07-30 12:35:00 UTC
Hi,
At the rate they are going with Chillingham 2 I wouldn't hold my breath
for long. They have been talking about it for years with no sign of it
ever appearing on the audio games scene. <Smile>
Damien
Thomas Ward
2008-07-30 12:04:28 UTC
Hi,
That is a good question. Everyone here seams to have tried contacting
them for one reason or another, and they make us eat static. I don't
know if it is do to them being busy with a job, family, health problems,
or what, but they haven't been giving anyone any clues why they are
failing to reply to their mail.