Screen Readers and Games was the Blind Swordsman
Thomas Ward
2014-07-25 10:35:46 UTC
Hi Dark,

That's a good question, and I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask.
I rarely use Jaws any more myself. That said, I do know in the
versions of Jaws I've used I can't just flick speech on and off the
way I can with NVDA or the way you can with Supernova. At least, that
has been my experience. there may be a way to do what you want to do,
but I'm just not familiar with any current Jaws releases to give you
an answer without downloading the Jaws demo, installing it, and
playing around with it to find out if what you are asking is possible
or not. In NVDA one can press insert+s until it disables speech or
enables speech which is quick and easy.

Cheers!
Hi.
I do get you can configure jaws to stop working for particular programs,
what I meant is what do you do say if you want to read one specific thing in
a program but want the screen reader off most of the time?
Beware the grue!
Dark.
Thomas Ward
2014-07-25 10:56:01 UTC
Hi Shaun,

To be honest I don't see what Jaws having a scripting language has
anything to do with this discussion of screen readers and games. Sure,
its true that Jaws was one of the first screen readers to support a
scripting language which made it very powerful, and helped push it to
the forefront of screen reader technology, but that in of itself has
little to do with this discussion here.

Equally true NVDA is written in Python which in of itself is basically
an all purpose scripting language, but has very little to do with the
discussion at hand. NVDA basically just wraps the various
accessibility libraries and functionality of Windows and is a very
small and robust little screen reader.

However, contrary to your message below it does not use any screen or
keyboard hooks. Based on what I've seen NVDA merely monitors the
Windows messages and events and then processes that information into
spoken or braille feedback for the blind user. In short, it is all
event driven and does not use any keyboard intercepts or off-screen
displays like Jaws uses which was there long before Windows had its
own accessibility APIs. NVDA is a new screen reader using newer up to
date techniques for handling Windows access so has none of the bad
hacks and workarounds found in older screen readers like Jaws that had
no other access to the information until now.

Since NVDA uses a stock event driven keyboard interface it naturally
does not interfere with something like DirectX. NVDA doesn't try to
intercept and take control over the keyboard the way Jaws does. I
think a lot of the things Jaws does is now deprecated and to be honest
I think the screen reader needs a good rewrite to get with the times.
Once done Jaws would be more compatible with games using DirectX as
well as not be so sluggish in certain apps and games where its
keyboard hooks slows down input drastically.

Cheers!
well tom going slightly off topic but not much.
Though jaws is quite bloated now it was the first reader to have
scripting of any sort and the fact still is that if something works
with jaws its probably true that it works with everything else.
Nvda is closely linked with the os using os compatible stuff builtin
libraries but its writen in python a scripting language.
Everything starts somewhere.
I can not comment on windoweyes but like jaws and dolphin they had a
dos reader.
Though I can not speak for dolphin versions over 12.0, I can say that
dolphin stuff was the first lot of stuff that I used spaciffic synths
made by dolphin for the reader in question first a gemini and then orpheus.
THe interface has been alwas easy to handle and its never been
bloated though with everyone going ocr that may have changed ofcause.
As for hooks, with the acception of jaws I think nvda uses keyboard
and screen hooks but they are not really intifeering with anything as such.
dark
2014-07-25 11:55:14 UTC
also, I'll add supernova has a scripting language, you can write scripts in
Luaa, although most of the time it's not necessary.

i don't know what sn does with respect to direct x or wthe windows api,
though obviously as I said it doesn't have the keyboard hooks thing.

Beware the grue!

Dark.
dark

Dark.
john
2014-07-25 11:30:19 UTC
Jaws does not have a speech off function, unless you count setting the synthesizer to no speech. Excluding that, the closest you're going to get without disabling it entirely is sleep mode.

Cheers!
Thomas Ward
2014-07-25 11:40:00 UTC
Hi John,

That's pretty much what I thought. Although, it should be possible to
create a Jaws script that enables and disables sleep mode globally
with a single hot key. I've never tried it before, but the Jaws
scripting interface is fairly flexible in a lot of cases to add
features like this as needed.

Cheers!
Thomas Ward

tim
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers at audyssey.org.
please send E-mail to Gamers-owner at audyssey.org.
Charles Rivard
2014-07-26 01:22:26 UTC
Keep in mind that if you put JAWS to sleep, it is still using resources, and
still resides in memory. This is why I prefer using insert f4 to turn it
completely off.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished,
you! really! are! finished!
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers-unsubscribe at audyssey.org.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2014-07-26 03:17:40 UTC
Hi Charles,

That's absolutely true. However, some people, myself included, like to
multitask while playing games. I might be playing a game and be
chatting online over instant messenger with a friend at the same time.
So completely unloading the screen reader I am using isn't an option
because I need to enable/disable speech rather quickly depending on
weather I am in a game or doing something else at the same time. So
having Jaws to go to sleep when the game is in the foreground is
better than loading and unloading Jaws to send off a reply and back to
the game again.

Cheers!
you! really! are! finished!
Thomas Ward

you! really! are! finished!
Charles Rivard

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
dark
2014-07-25 11:52:35 UTC
Hi Tom.

It was really only idle curiosity sinse I certainly have no plans to switch
to Jaws. it's just that as I said I flick supernova's speech on and off all
the time (the key is ctrl )zero).

For example I am currently watching Star trek deep space 9. Obviously I
don't want to interupt dvd playback by supernova saying "spacebar" everytime
I play and paws etc, so I have the voice off. I did however configure the
time skip key to exactly the length of the theme tune, so that once I've
watched the initial teaser I can just hit pagedown and instantly skip to the
end without having to sit through the opening titles for 100 odd episodes.

This was fairly easy, I just hit ctrl c to bring Up Power dvd's
configuration settings and play with the number of seconds that the time
skip function actually skips, however obviously I had to go from opening the
configuration pannel (which I needed supernova for), to playing the dvd,
which I didn't to see if my time skip worked.

This is why I am curious sinse flicking the speech on and off is something I
always take for granted in supernova and use very frequently.

Beware the grue!

Dark.
Thomas Ward
2014-07-25 13:01:00 UTC
Hi Dark,

Yeah, I understand that. I certainly had no illusions about you
wanting to change screen readers. However, the basic thing I wanted to
say is that there isn't a quick and easy way to switch speech on and
off in Jaws the way you can in Supernova. Come to think of it I'm not
sure there is a quick way to do it in Window-Eyes either without
specially assigning a key for that purpose. So all and all I think
Supernova is a bit unique in its built-in ability to switch speech on
and off with a quick and easy keyboard command. The only other screen
reader I can think of that has a similar feature is NVDA.

Cheers!
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Teresa Cochran
2014-07-25 13:28:16 UTC
I would have given up Windows long before I did if NVDA hadn't come out. I really like that screen-reader. (yes, I donated LOL). It's easy to play flash games with it still running, though I haven't tried stand-alone games yet. I'm an occasional Windows user.

Teresa

Winging its way from my iPod
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Josh

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
ishan dhami
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
ishan dhami
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Josh

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Darren Duff
2014-07-25 16:05:30 UTC
NvDA does have an add-on that will do this.

Post by dark
[...]
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org If you want to leave the
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers at audyssey.org.
list, please send E-mail to Gamers-owner at audyssey.org.
---
Charles Rivard
2014-07-26 01:25:56 UTC
Assign a hot key, such as "control alt j" for starting JAWS from anywhere.
Insert j removes JAWS from memory. I think that's as close as you're gonna
get.

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2014-07-26 03:20:13 UTC
Charles,

I thought the command to unload Jaws was insert+f4 not insert+j. Last
time I used Jaws insert+j opened the Jaws main window. Has that
changed or something?

Cheers!
you! really! are! finished!
Danielle Antoine
2014-07-26 04:37:20 UTC
I was wondering the same thing. I'm still on the fence about NVDA. I
would like something other than that almost robotic standard synth it
comes with and when I'm doing surveys it doesn't always display the
screen or even continue functioning especially if my JAWS demo times
out and I launch NVDA.

Danielle
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2014-07-26 05:42:35 UTC
Hi Danielle,

I don't want to go too far off topic here, but I will say that NVDA
supports a large number of software synthesizers besides Espeak which
it comes with. If you are willing to put forward a little bit of money
you can buy the Vocalizer voices for NVDA which will give you Daniel,
Tom, Karen, Lee, and all the other voices you get for Jaws. I think it
is like $99 for a Vocalizer license for NVDA which is not bad for a
one time fee, and of course if the games support NVDA they can speak
using your Vocalizer voices.

If you are looking for something more universal NVDA also supports all
Sapi 5.x compatible voices. You can get something high quality like
the Ivona voices which are a bit on the expensive side, or if you have
Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 you can get a number of decent quality voices
from Microsoft that work with NVDA as well.

The point being if Espeak is the only reason holding you back from
joining the NVDA crowd there are plenty of alternatives. You can spend
a little money for better voices for NVDA and games and it won't cost
you any more than the cost of a Jaws upgrade, and it is typically a
one-time fee.

Cheers!
Danielle
Danielle Antoine
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2014-07-26 06:14:44 UTC
Hi Danielle,

Go to
https://vocalizer-nvda.com/?
that's where you can download demos, purchase voices, etc for NVDA.

Cheers!
Danielle
ishan dhami
2014-07-26 08:21:01 UTC
Hi even if you can add freedom scientific vocaliser voices like ava
and danielle
as far as the concern of MR Charles and our moderator MR Thomas sir
If you use both window like chatting and games JAWS will absolutely work
no need to unload or shut down your screen reader
If you want to really shut down the JAWS without any kind of warning
press insert windows and f4
If you have problem from NVDA press insert shift s to sleep NVDA
When I got my sod key I first register my name with JAWS and put it in
the deep sleep and then I pasted my key and press enter.
If you are chatting and playing games and you have configure JAWS for
your game there will be no problem in chatting JAWS will really work.
Thanks
Ishan
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2014-07-27 07:17:53 UTC
Hi Ishan,,

I think you missed the point of this thread. Yes, we all know about
putting Jaws to sleep via configuring it in the settings manager, but
what Dark was concerned about was being able to simply turn speech on
and off the way he does in Supernova. What you stated below was what
we already know. :D

By the way the command to silence speech in NVDA is insert+s not
insert+shift+s. Do be careful when giving out information that it is
accurate as possible as people are being entirely too casual about
freely giving out false information of late.

Cheers!
Ishan
Ian Reed
2014-07-27 07:25:48 UTC
Ishan said: If you have problem from NVDA press insert shift s to sleep NVDA
Thomas said: By the way the command to silence speech in NVDA is
insert+s not
insert+shift+s. Do be careful when giving out information that it is
accurate as possible as people are being entirely too casual about
freely giving out false information of late.

I say: Ishan's statement was true. Insert + shift + S puts NVDA into
sleep mode for the current application.
Insert + S toggles speech output, which is what I usually use, but the
fact remains that insert + shift + S does what he stated.

Cheers,
Ian Reed
Try my free games at http://BlindAudioGames.com
Thomas Ward
2014-07-27 21:23:27 UTC
Hi Ian,

Well, all I can say is I have NVDA 2014.2 and insert+shift+s does
nothing on my system. I don't know what the problem or issue is, but
that command does nothing for me. So based on that is why I said what
I said.

Cheers!
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Ian Reed
2014-07-27 21:40:00 UTC
Hi Tom,

Ah, that makes sense then.

I just installed NVDA 2014.2 and insert + shift + S does still toggle
sleep mode on and off for me.
I opened the NVDA 2014.2 Commands Quick Reference.
In the ninth row of the first table of that document I find this:
Toggle application sleep mode on and off
NVDA+shift+s (desktop key)
NVDA+shift+z (laptop key)
none
sleep mode disables all NVDA commands and speech/braille output for the
current application. This is most useful in applications that provide
their own speech or screen reading features. Press this command again to
disable self voicing mode.

So it looks like insert + shift + S is only for the desktop keyboard
layout. Perhaps you are using the laptop keyboard layout and that's why
it didn't work for you?

Thanks for the clarification.
I'd also like to note that I do appreciate your efforts to ensure people
are giving out accurate information.
I only brought this up to help.

Thanks,
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward
2014-07-27 21:49:16 UTC
Hi Ian,

Ah, I stand corrected then. You are correct. I am using a laptop with
NVDA in laptop keyboard mode so that is why NVDA+shift+s doesn't work.
Upon checking the keyboard reference it is NVDA+shift+z which is why
it didn't work for me. So apparently I owe Ishan an apology as it was
my mistake not his. However, thanks for correcting me as it is both
useful information to know, and I hate making false statements even
though I had a legitimate excuse at the time.

Cheers!
Thomas Ward

Ian Reed

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Ian Reed

Thomas Ward

Ishan
ishan dhami
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward

Danielle
Danielle Antoine
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
shaun everiss
2014-07-26 07:42:26 UTC
well daniel there are a few synths.
there is a wiki page for all this crap somewhere on the nvda site
but ofcause I can't think of this its something like list of speech synths.
There is espeak, pico which is easy enough to set up, speech hub
which can crash a lot, vocaliser which costs but is ok and others.
if you can get bit torrent sync and enter
AZABHLNBW2RZ2AVDOUJ5FVGUAAFB5J4WK
into the secret box you should be able to get access to a lot of
stuff, 2gb worth which should include speech synths.
There is a dropbox but its not updated and because people hack it and
delete stuff post malware and other junk well I don't have it anymore
but take it at your own risk.
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward

Danielle
shaun everiss
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Charles Rivard
2014-07-26 15:13:18 UTC
Nope, it hasn't changed. My fingers didn't cooperate. Otherwise known as a
typo. (grin)

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Danielle Antoine

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Charles Rivard

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward

you! really! are! finished!
Teresa Cochran

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Darren Duff
2014-07-25 16:05:30 UTC

Charles Rivard

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Thomas Ward

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Teresa Cochran
2014-07-25 13:19:42 UTC
In a lot of cases, even if you turn speech off for JAWS, you still have all the keyboard hooks digging into whatever application you're running, and they'll still interfere. That's why JAWS has a "sleep mode". I know there's a way to simply disable speech, but I don't remember it. It's been seven years since I last used JAWS, and any information I might pull out of my dusty brain might be outdated, anyhow. :)

Teresa

Winging its way from my iPod
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Nicol
2014-07-25 20:54:59 UTC
Hi tom
Well, in jaws15 you press alt plus windows key plus s to mute the speech but
I don't know if that will remove the keyboard hook while playing games.
I know for sure it mutes speech until you switch focus to another
application.

Bryan Peterson
2014-07-25 21:27:44 UTC
No, that just shuts off speech. It has nothing to do with the keyboard hook.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
thy micturations are to me
as plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
GroupI implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,
And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I
don't!

That's a good question, and I'm not sure I'm the right person to ask.
I rarely use Jaws any more myself. That said, I do know in the versions of
Jaws I've used I can't just flick speech on and off the way I can with NVDA
or the way you can with Supernova. At least, that has been my experience.
there may be a way to do what you want to do, but I'm just not familiar with
any current Jaws releases to give you an answer without downloading the Jaws
demo, installing it, and playing around with it to find out if what you are
asking is possible or not. In NVDA one can press insert+s until it disables
speech or enables speech which is quick and easy.

Cheers!

---
protection is active.

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
David Reynolds
2014-07-25 21:46:00 UTC
The way to do it is to set up a configuration for the game, and then go into
miscellaneous settings in settings, and enable sleep mode.

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
David Reynolds
2014-07-25 21:46:00 UTC

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
valiant8086
2014-07-26 19:16:07 UTC
Hi.
Ok I'm a pretty expert jaws user, I'd like to lay this out.
To mute speech, press, depending on keyboard layout, caps lock space,
or, if desktop layout insert+space. Once you heard the click noise,
press s. This turns speech off.

On my lenovo Yoga 2 pro tablet laptop thingy, that takes less than a
second to accomplish. caps lock space, then s turns it off. pressing
that again turns it on just as quickly as it was turned off. On slower
computers it may take a couple of seconds for speech to restart when
toggling it back on. This actually unloads the synthesizer, so if you
use eloquence and someone crashes it, you can often use this to quickly
recover, provided the crash didn't drag jaws down with it.

Secondly, with later versions of jaws that use the settings center
instead of the configuration manager, setting jaws to sleep for specific
applications is ridiculously easy.

Open the game and press insert+6 (same regardless of keyboard layout).
Depending on whether jaws had a configuration file for this game already
it may ask you what you'd like to call the new configuration file. If it
does, just hit enter to accept what it suggested by default. Now you'll
be in the settings center,, focused on an edit box. in that edit box,
type "sleep" without the quotes. Now down arrow until you hear sleep
mode disable. Press space till it says enable. If you really want too
you can space again to make it unload the synthesizer as well, but this
usually is not a good idea if you have a slower computer it will take a
while to get speech back once focus leaves the game, plus, usually, the
speech synthesizer itself doesn't do anything that would actually
interfere with game play, that includes the fact that when jaws is
sleeping, it's not sending stuff to the synthesizer to be spoken, so the
synthesizer sits idle, which is as good as using no resources of your
machine right?

So to summarize, with our Traders of Known Space game, I can launch the
game, and while sitting in the game press insert+6. It asks what I'd
like to call the configuration, I press enter to accept what's already
suggested. Then I type sleep, down arrow twice, press space once, tab to
the ok button and hit enter. That's all. Takes less time to do it now
that I know how to do it so well than it does to describe it. What's
more, if I open Traders of Known Space but I need jaws to speak while in
the game for some reason, I can repeat the exact same steps to bring
jaws out of sleep mode for this application, save in that situation, I
would never need to press enter at first to accept a suggested
configuration file name, as if it's sleeping, it obviously has a
configuration file.
Cheers, Sent with thunderbird 17.0.8 portableOn 7/25/2014 4:54 PM, Nicol
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Danielle Antoine
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
ishan dhami
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
ishan dhami
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Danielle Antoine
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
valiant8086
2014-08-07 14:41:43 UTC
To the person saying the insert+6 to open settings center didn't work in
tks, this is because the keyboard hook is working properly on that
particular computer, so jaws is prevented from seeing the keystroke.
That said, sleeping jaws for tks in that case is not necessary anyway.

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
valiant8086

Gamers mailing list __ Gamers at audyssey.org
Bryan Peterson